Updated: Dec 5, 2020
Hot Cocoa Bombs are all the craze right now, and they deserve to be!
What is a Hot Cocoa Bomb?
Hot Cocoa Bombs are chocolate shells filled with cocoa powder and usually marshmallows and sprinkles.
What kind of chocolate do I use for Hot Cocoa Bombs?
What about cocoa powder?
Again, we love Ghirardelli, but you can also make your own!
Do I need to use marshmallows for hot cocoa bombs?
No! You can easily substitute with sprinkles or just omit it completely.
How do I decorate hot coca bombs?
Any way you like! The possibilities are endless. You can fill them with any type of sprinkles, marshmallows, or chocolate chips. You can even add freeze-dried fruits like strawberries.
How much milk do I add to my Hot Cocoa Bomb?
Small bombs (50mm) require 8oz, while larger ones (about 70mm) require 10-12oz depending on preference.
Basic Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe:
Shell (Large Hot Cocoa Bombs):
-1 bag of Ghirardelli wafer melts (30oz) (Yields approx 13 70mm-bombs)
1) Melt chocolate in a large, microwave-safe bowl using 30-second increments.
2) Take out between each 30 seconds and stir until completely melted.
3) Scoop 1 tablespoons of chocolate into mold.
4) Brush chocolate all around inside of the sphere mold so that it coats it entirely. once you have done this to all, go back and brush again in case chocolate has pooled in the center of mold. Add more chocolate if needed.
5) Refrigerate 10 minutes.
6) Repeat, refrigerate 10 minutes.
7) Pop shells out of mold. They should come out effortlessly.
1) Place pan on stove at lowest temperature.
2) Place one half shell, then the other onto pan to melt edges, about 2-3 seconds each.
3)Scoop 1 tablespoon of coca powder into one shell, fill with marshmallows, and top with other shell.
-leftover Ghiradelli chocolate
-marshmallows (large or small)
1) Place melted chocolate in a ziplock bag
2) Cut a tiny hole in the corner of bag, and drizzle over Hot Cocoa Bomb
3) Top with sprinkles, marshamllows
That's it! You've now built the Basic Hot Cocoa Bomb. There are a lot of more flavors to experiment with, including coffee bombs, strawberry ones, all sorts.
Other Types of "Hot Cocoa Bombs":
-Caramel shell with apple cider powder
-Coffee bombs! Fill with an instant cappuccino or powdered creamer for those who prefer.
-Cookies & Cream
Can I add booze to my Hot Cocoa Bomb?
Absolutely! You can add it after you've already let your bomb bloom (poured water over it and had it "explode"). You can also fill a mini bonbon with liquor, and add that into the larger hot cocoa bomb to that it blooms all together. Go crazy with the possibilities!
Packaging Hot Cocoa Bombs:
Some also like to add extra cushioning with marshmallows and pack wooden stirring spoons for a special touch.
Other Handy Tools:
-Chocolate gloves! These will keep fingerprints off your bombs
-Chocolate warmer- we LOVE this one, you can work on 2 different types of flavors at once! Leave on the lowest setting and never worry about your chocolate hardening.